Microsoft Vista has implemented stricter security settings that change the way users access folders and files on their computers and in the process did make things more complicated for ProAPOD Real Estate Investment Software users.
Primarily, Vista’s default security setting prevents our real estate software users from saving their work, and in turn prompts an error message when attempting to Save As. This issue, of course, has been extremely frustrating, but not just for users of our software. Do a search for “Vista Read Only” and witness for yourself the countless inquiries and complaints made by Vista users on the web.
Why this problem with Vista? Microsoft attempted to make it more difficult for malware to access your folders and files but in this process (whether by design or oversight) also makes it more difficult for owners of those folders and files to access them.
After much research and some trial and error I discovered that the issue lies with the “permission” settings Vista applies to the folders by default, and the resolution is for the user to manually change those “permissions” in order to gain back the rightful control of those folders.
If you are currently using ProAPOD® Real Estate Investment Software on Windows Vista please read the following instructions to resolve the issue.
- From your desktop right-click My Computer and then click Explore.
- Click the plus (+) symbol on your C: drive to open the list of folders.
- Scroll down to Program Files and click the plus (+) symbol to open the list of folders.
- Locate and right-click the ProAPOD folder and then click Share…
- Open the Security tab.
- Under Group or user names click on Users. (Note in the Permssions for Users panel below that there are limited permissions; we want to achieve “Full control” for each group).
- Double-click Edit.
- Under Permissions for Users click Full control.
- Click Apply and then click OK.
Result: ProAPOD will open normally (not as “Read Only”) and you can properly Save and Save As your files. If not, repeat these steps for each other group of names.
If you would like to read this article with screen shots please go to http://www.proapod.com/Articles/vista-perm.html