When it comes to commercial real estate investments, there will always be enough scope to make profits regardless of the property market trends and fluctuations. But investing in commercial properties has its own pitfalls and you must therefore learn the success strategies to stay and survive and prosper.
One of the requirements for commercial property investments is developing the right contacts. When you consistently speak to more people in the commercial property market, your database will grow and that creates opportunities. You will have to cultivate contacts with a wide variety of people which include property owners, fellow property investors, prospective tenants that run businesses in commercial premises, prospective buyers/sellers looking to purchase/sell commercial property, property developers, bankers, private financiers, commercial real estate agents etc.
Please remember that commercial real estate investment is built around the business community and private home buyers cannot be your target audience. Here are some additional valuable clues to succeed in commercial property investment.
1. It is essential to continually create a database of all your important contacts and be in constant touch.
2. You must learn the art of prospecting by various means and you should be prospecting each working day of the week without hindrance.
3. Once you obtain an appointment with a prospect, your presentation should be neat, relevant and attention-grabbing. The client should develop faith in your capabilities as well as reliability.
4. Knowledge of the local property market is an absolute must and you must be thoroughly conversant with the ongoing prices, rental values, list of comparable properties, listings of other agents, and all such activities in the commercial property market.
5. Your marketing efforts should include use of the internet, and newspaper adverts, signboards, and direct contact of qualified buyers. The inquiry that you find and generate has to be immediately entered into your database.
6. Negotiation and closing skills are the key factors to succeed as the commercial property investment market can be fiercely competitive.
7. When the contract or lease is negotiated, the transaction created has to be accurately written down to avoid misunderstandings at a later date.
The old adage that ‘you get back what you put in’ applies to the commercial property market and here, there is no free lunch. Commercial real estate investing involves big money and it is not advisable to venture into it till you gain adequate experience and become familiar with all the tricks and techniques.
Needless to say, commercial real estate investing requires a lot of planning, perseverance and patience to succeed. There are absolutely no quick fix solutions. The investor must understand the local market, the latest trends in commercial real estate, in order to invest in the right kind of property at the right price.
Commercial real estate investing needs steady focus and meticulous planning of all aspects, and it is important that all documents relating to the property are carefully scrutinized.
Commercial properties are invariably high-priced properties and it is not something you can do it on your own, So, put in all efforts to identify private lenders or deal partners to help you out. A partner can provide the finance and/or credit needed to purchase a property, and you can compensate him/her by paying a fixed interest rate or a percentage of the profit.
It is advisable that you associate with experienced commercial real estate mentors who can properly guide you in dealing with buying/selling of properties. It will be unwise to lose a lucrative deal or buying a bad property because you did not understand certain key factors.